Thursday, December 30, 2010

What ever happened to art for arts sake?

Two similar pictures, two similar themes, but one big difference. 

The first picture is what I like to call art for arts sake. I look at it and right away I begin to think who is this girl? Why is she alone? What is she thinking? Why is there a slight smirk somewhere beneath her sulk? This one girl standing alone on a cold winter day is able to evoke so much emotion from an audience and leaves room for you to create your own story as to what she is doing or thinking.

Photo Borrowed from: http://ansmeer.deviantart.com/


















This picture on the other hand is what I see too often today, a teen with a camera trying to look sultry in order to feign mystery and emotion.

**Now I'm not saying this picture is bad, shes gorgeous for starters and I would kill for her outfit (check out her Lookbook profile if you have time) her picture is just to demonstrate her fashion.**  

Photo borrowed from: http://lookbook.nu/user/88541-Zuzanna-W                  




















I'm simply using it as an example though, a lot of people think well maybe if I don't look at the camera it will become art, or maybe if I stand beside an abandoned building, or even worst no longer functioning train tracks while staring down at my old converse with either A) A child-like innocence as though I have been sheltered from the realities of the world OR B) Like a torn outcast marginalized by society who has seen too much of the worlds harsh realities for their age. While you and I both know they are more often than not, a well off kid from the suberbs who just got a DSLR camera for their birthday and raided Urban Outfitters for anything that looks vintage.  It screams "HEY! LOOK AT ME, I'M AN ARTIST!" and makes me hate photography because of the vanity which they attach.

No comments:

Post a Comment